"As supervisors it can be both challenging and rewarding to lead teams. Research shows that the care and commitment that we all take in managing staff is absolutely critical to the success and well-being of our employees and the institution. For some time, I’ve been envisioning a program that could support and strengthen the skills of VPFA supervisors to manage the complex challenges of leadership across a wide variety of operational areas. I’m excited to share that vision has come to fruition. The VPFA Leadership Excellence and Development Series (LEADS) has been developed as an investment in our supervisory staff to help each of us thrive in our roles as team leaders."
Jamie Moffitt, Senior VPFA and CFO
The pilot cohort of LEADS was held January-June 2023 and the next cohort of approximately 24 supervisors will run July-December 2023.
VPFA LEADS was constructed with three areas of focus:
- Soft skill development such as effective communication, engagement, and conflict resolution,
- Technical skill development in areas such as labor relations, including information about UO-specific labor contracts, that supervisors need to be effective in their roles, and
- Networking opportunities for supervisors across different departments
Each cohort is guided through six skill-development sessions over the course of six months. The content areas are as follows:
|July 2023||Half-day sessions (monthly, August through December)|
Employee and Labor Relations (ELR) and Performance Management
Training Dates for July - December 2023
All sessions are scheduled as in-person training--there are no remote participation options at this point. Full-day sessions will include breakfast and lunch. Half-day sessions will include breakfast. These are the dates for the July-Dec 2023 LEADS sessions--it is unlikely that these will change but there is always that possibility.
- Tuesday, July 11: 8:30am-4pm
- Wednesday, July 12: 8:30am-4pm
- Tuesday, August 8: 8:30am-1pm
- Wednesday, September 20: 8:30am-1pm
- Tuesday, October 10: 8:30am-1pm
- Tuesday, November 7: 8:30am-1pm
- Tuesday, December 12: 8:30am-1pm
Frequently Asked Questions
Which VPFA (Finance and Administration) supervisors are required to participate in the LEADS training?
Content is designed to be interactive and valuable for supervisors in every stage of their career, from emerging managers to seasoned leaders. VPFA LEADS will will continue to be offered twice yearly to allow all VPFA supervisors an opportunity to participate. See the VPFA org chart to understand more about the departments that are part of the portfolio.
How much does the program cost?
There is no department cost for this program.
I am a supervisor in the VPFA portfolio. I want to participate but I am unable to attend all of the scheduled trainings. May I still sign up?
Participants are asked to commit to attendance at all sessions. If you have an unavoidable conflict with one of the sessions, please let us know. Depending on which session you are unable to attend, we may be able to offer a make-up opportunity at a later date.
Is there a remote or hybrid attendance option?
Sessions are currently being held in person. A fully remote training program will be held in the future to accommodate VPFA supervisors whose workplaces are not located on the Eugene campus and are therefore unable to attend a the training series in person.
How do I apply for the program?
Please nominate yourself or a colleague for VPFA LEADS online: https://oregon.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eERGKnKx0JpyYNo. Applications are due by June 9th--there are still a couple of places available if you would like to attend.
Who completed the inaugural LEADS cohort in Jan-June 2023?
- Adrian Cruz, Shuttle Program Manager, Transportation Services
- Brady Nittmann, Director of Academic Budget, Budget, Financial Analytics and Data Analysis
- Brittany Jayne, Assistant Director of Employee and Labor Relations, Human Resources
- Brooke Millett Montgomery, Travel Manager, Business Affairs
- Crystal Farset, Retirement Benefits Coordinator, Retirement Plans Management
- Haily Griffith, Occupational Health & Safety Manager, Safety and Risk Services
- James McGladrey, Assistant Director Field Operations, Transportation Services
- Joe Mailander, Assistant Director Network Operations, Information Services
- Jon Miyake, CyberSecurity Operations Center Manager, Information Services
- Justin Grishkin, Construction Services Manager, CPFM Facilities Services
- Kathleen Brown, Accounts Receivable Manager, Business Affairs
- LeAnna Pitts, Assistant Director Work Control, CPFM Facilities
- Lisa Howard, Director, Business Operations, Finance and Administration Shared Services (FASS)
- Lisa Taylor, Assistant Director Risk Management and Insurance, Safety and Risk Services
- Melissa Koval, Assistant Director, FASS Human Resources
- Melodie Moore, Presentation Services Program Specialist, Information Services
- Mike Glover Moresi, Knowledge Manager, Information Services
- Rosalee Clanton, Landscape Supervisor, CPFM Facilities Landscape
- Stuart Mellor, Financial Reporting Manager, Business Affairs
- Tom Shepard, Senior Associate Director of Capital Projects, CPFM Design and Construction
- Travis Shea, Business Intelligence Manager, Information Services
Who do I contact if I have other questions?
If you have further questions about VPFA LEADS, contact Deborah Butler at email@example.com or 541-346-3046.